Yummy Aussie Summer Mango Spritz
As Summer gets closer, so does a large array of Summer fruits including the yummy Mango. In Australia, the mango season spreads southward from Darwin from September through to April.
As one of the most popular summer fruits, Mango is bursting with over 20 vitamins and minerals, mangoes are loaded with good nutrition and health benefits. Just one cup provides 100% of our daily vitamin C needs, helping to strengthen our immune system, keep our teeth and gums healthy, and support collagen formation–hello, beautiful skin!
It is important to understand the differences between Mangoes and learn how to judge ripeness so you can always enjoy a perfect mango…
It is best to
- Never focus on colour as it is not the best indicator of ripeness.
- Squeeze the mango gently. A ripe mango will give slightly.
- Use your experience with produce such as peaches or avocados, which also become softer as they ripen.
- Ripe mangoes will sometimes have a fruity aroma at their stem ends.
- The pink blush and red colour that appears on some varieties is not an indicator of ripeness.
- Always judge by feel. A ripe mango will be firm and give slightly to the touch so avoid mangoes that are hard, very soft or bruised. Also avoid mangoes that are wrinkled or shrivelled as they will be overripe with an unpleasant fermented flavour.
If you find your mangoes are not quite ripe enough, store them at room temperature between 18 -22°C and out of the sun for a few days until the fruit ripens.
Now let’s make one of the Yummiest Spritzers Just for Adults.
Simply leave out the alcohol to make a child friendly Spritzer.
- 2 Mangoes
- 4 cups ice
- 500ml Aperol, chilled
- 750ml bottle Prosecco, chilled
- 750ml soda water, chilled
- Mango syrup
- 2 Mangoes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- For the syrup, peel and roughly chop mango flesh.
- Place into a blender or processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan.
- Add sugar and water.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, boil gently 3 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a jug.
- Set aside to cool.
- Pour into a sterilized bottle.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Peel and dice the flesh from mangoes.
- Divide ice among 10 glasses.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons mango syrup into each glass.
- Adults can top each with 50ml Aperol and 75ml Prosecco.
- Top with diced mango then soda. Tip: The mango syrup will keep in a sterilized jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or freeze in ice cube tray. Frozen cubes delicious in a summer punch or in glass topped up with sparkling apple juice, soda, champagne or ginger beer.
So go on grab an Aussie Mango!